COVID 19 Response

March 22nd.

Dear Parents and Whanau,

As of March 21st, the Prime Minister outlined the Covid-19 Alert Levels.  There are four different levels that can be set at either a regional or national level. Nationally, we are at Level 2.

Level 2 means the following new restrictions have been put in place, effective immediately; a full list of restrictions can be found here

1.  Those community members over 70 and those who are immune-compromised need to immediately self-isolate. The list of people who are at risk can be located vulnerable people at risk

This will affect staff members at our school which will impact on our daily programmes.

2.  All internal travel within New Zealand has been ceased. All trips and events at Glenbrook School have either been cancelled or postponed. IEP s have also been postponed for this term. 

The Ministry of Health is now recommending anyone who fits the criteria of those most at risk, is advised to stay home.

Schools will remain open but this will affect how some of our classes function. We are currently working through what it means to be at level 2 for our school.  If we have to move to level 3 this will be advised by the Ministry of Health and we will communicate back to you immediately.

If you do intend to self-isolate or temporarily withdraw your child or children from school for the foreseeable future, it is important that you advise the school. Email is best for us admin@glenbrook.school.nz or email me stuartl@glenbrook.school.nz 

Thank you to all the parents I have spoken with over the last few days. Home Learning packs are available from tomorrow for all our children who are going into isolation due to increasing restrictions. If or when school closures are announced, Home Learning packs are available for our children. We will send out more information if or when that occurs. 

I will continue to update you as we are. Atawhai tetahi ki tetahi, Be kind to each other. We are here for you, Whakawhanaungatanga, We work as a community together.

Nga manaakitanga,

Your Principal,

Ms Lysandra Stuart

20th March.

Kia ora koutou

With so much information and misinformation swirling around about COVID-19, I wanted to share with you what will happen if we were to have a case in our school community. We have been planning for this and are in a position to respond quickly.

  • As soon as a case is confirmed in our immediate school community (eg. a student, staff member, or member of their household), the Medical Officer of Health and Ministry of Education will inform me about this, and we will work together to get quick and clear messaging out to you
  • If there was a case confirmed of someone in our school, we will likely be asked to close temporarily by the Medical Officer of Health. This will allow time for close contacts to be traced, appropriate testing to be undertaken, and a careful clean of the school to be undertaken.
  • If our school does need to close temporarily, we have a plan in place to support student’s learning.

We know COVID-19 feels scary and of course people are concerned for the wellbeing of our children. Please be assured that with no case confirmed in our school, your children are safe here.

Good hygiene is a priority at our school, and we are reinforcing this regularly with all students and staff. We know that practicing good hygiene is still the best thing we can all do to prevent illness.

We are getting the most up to date advice and guidance so that we can confidently make informed decisions about the safety and wellbeing of our school community.  A reminder, please do not send sick children to school. Again we will continue to update as we are updated. 

Ngā manaakitanga,

Ms Lysandra Stuart

Principal

M.Ed with First Class Honours, B.Ed, Dip.T, P.G Dip. Ed, B.LS