Reading Together Programme
To show parents additional ways in which they can help their children
Children to gain a better understanding and enjoyment from reading.
Workshop 1: How to help with reading at home
- Introduction – an overview of Reading Together.
- Your child as a reading – sharing your ideas and experiences.
- Ways of helping your child with reading – explanation, demonstration and discussion.
- Finding time to help at home.
- Using libraries.
Workshop 2: How to check the difficulty level of reading materials
- Sharing experiences.
- Find and using the right material with your child.
- Helping your child to read suitable material.
Workshop 3: How to help children overcome problems in their reading
- Sharing experiences (including books enjoyed at home).
- Ideas about how we read and what helps us to read.
- More ways of helping children, especially when they cannot recognise a word.
- Trying these ideas and a group.
Workshop 4: Sharing ideas about reading, giving feedback and looking ahead
- Sharing progress and experiences.
- Others ideas about learning to read.
- Giving feedback about Reading Together.
- Ways of keeping up the support at home.
- Looking ahead to other possibilities.
- “My method of reading with my child has changed. I no longer pressure him into “he should” know the word, instead I let him take his time and find his own way of discovering the words.”
- “It has given me new ideas to helping my child with his reading. It’s also been a real eye opener to just how difficult reading really is and has made me understand it. This programme has really given me confidence.“My method of reading with my child has changed. I no longer pressure him into “he should” know the word, instead I let him take his time and find his own way of discovering the words.”
- “This programme was very important to me about my child cause my son big change for me about his reading.”
- “This programme help me a lot, now I have leart that it is very good to off the TV whenever we want to read.“
- “I found this programme really helpful. It’s helped a lot not only for my child but for myself as well. I have a lot of patience and now my child loves to read.“