Reading Together Programme
o To show parents additional ways in which they can help their children become better readers.
o Children to gain a better understanding and enjoyment from reading.
Workshop 1: How to help with reading at home
- Introduction – an overview of Reading Together.
- Your child as a reading – sharing your ideas and experiences.
- Ways of helping your child with reading – explanation, demonstration and discussion.
- Finding time to help at home.
- Using libraries.
Workshop 2: How to check the difficulty level of reading materials
- Sharing experiences.
- Find and using the right material with your child.
- Helping your child to read suitable material.
Workshop 3: How to help children overcome problems in their reading
- Sharing experiences (including books enjoyed at home).
- Ideas about how we read and what helps us to read.
- More ways of helping children, especially when they cannot recognise a word.
- Trying these ideas and a group.
Workshop 4: Sharing ideas about reading, giving feedback and looking ahead
- Sharing progress and experiences.
- Others ideas about learning to read.
- Giving feedback about Reading Together.
- Ways of keeping up the support at home.
- Looking ahead to other possibilities.
- “Understanding the process of the children’s learning to read has really helped me to be more patient with my daughter.”
- Before the workshop it was a real struggle to read together now we have made it into an enjoyable experience each day.”
- “It was a really great programme.”
- “Session 3 had a lot of ‘lightbulb’ moments for me- really helped me appreciate what the kids see when they try to read.”
- “It’s been great being able to talk in the same language and use same approaches as used in school.”
- “Reinforced the importance of reading.”
- “Great programme!”
- “Valuable programme where it’s just good to hear that there are other parents in the same boat with children struggling with reading- makes you feel not so alone.”
- “Through the programme I found out about a few apps that have been great for the kids.”
- “I wish these skills taught were available when teaching my first to read rather than the last. Would have made the process a lot easier over the years.”
- “I should have done the workshop sooner.”
- “Really helped in order to know the journey as children progress with their reading/learning.”
- “This course is great for new parents learning to deal with school and homework.”
- “As a family we are reading more at bedtime to encourage reading.”