CALF CLUB DAY
SATURDAY 17th OCTOBER 2020
Welcome to Calf Club 2020!
With Covid19 lockdown behind us we have been catching up with the organisation of Calf Club. Calf Club Day is a very proud tradition at Glenbrook School and a day in which the students, teachers and the community come together. We pride ourselves on having a large range of options for students to choose from, enabling every student to celebrate in the rural nature of our school on Calf Club Day. Information booklets are available at the school office (from Monday 15th June) for each of the following options. Please read the relevant rules as they may have changed considerably from previous years.
Each student may have ONLY ONE ENTRY and are required to complete an official entry form available from the office. All entry forms are due in no later than 28th August 2020.
Calf Club Day options for 2020 are:
● CALVES: Obtain, care for and raise a calf and then proudly demonstrate all your hard work in the animal ring: leading, child effort and animal condition. No poster or diary is required for this option. Calves to have been born: 1 June – 31 August 2020 inclusive. Please note that due to the ongoing Microplasma Bovis risk, calves must not be obtained from the Pukekohe / Tuakau sales. Alongside your entry this year there will be an additional form to return regarding NAIT compliance and MBOVIS free declaration.
● LAMB/(GOAT) KID: Obtain, care for and raise a lamb or kid. Proudly demonstrate all your hard
work in the animal rings: calling, leading and child effort. Lambs or Kids are to have been born: 1 July -23 September 2020 inclusive. No poster or diary is required for these options. Please note that lambs are no longer available through the school, so you will have to procure your own lamb independently.
● CHICKEN: Raise and care for a chick. Order forms and information booklets are available at the School Office Orders must be in by Monday 22nd June for pick up from school on Tuesday 21st July. Chicks $5 each, with a minimum of 2 per order. On Calf Club Day, children each have a turn at speaking to the judge, and chickens will be weighed and judged. There is no requirement for the chicken to do a trick. A poster is required and worth 50% of your overall mark. Poster card will be available from the office when you collect your chickens.
● PETS (DOGS/HORSE/SMALL FURRY): Bring your dog, horse or small furry (rabbit, guinea pig, rat, or mouse). Dogs must be able to be controlled by the child and led around a small obstacle course while being judged. Small Furries and horses will be judged on child effort and child knowledge. All pets require a poster and it is worth 50% of your overall mark.
● PTA OPTION: The PTA option for 2020 is to design and decorate a plant pot. The only limit is your imagination so get those creative juices flowing. Pots and information sheets are available from the office for a small fee $2.
● GARDEN: GROW YOUR OWN KUMARA VINE: Grow beautiful green vines from a whole kumara right from your kitchen window. Kumaras will be available from the office for a small fee of $2. Gardeners will also need to produce a diary which will make up 50% of your overall mark. Happy Gardening!
NB: Pre-schoolers may enter the following categories at Calf Club Day – calf, lamb, goat or chicken. Please note that all pre-schoolers with an animal must be supervised at all times. Pre-schoolers will not be officially judged but will be able to “show” their animal to the judge, and will receive a participation ribbon.
Information sheets, entry forms, and poster cardboard are available from the School Office.
Completed entry forms are to be returned to the School Office NO LATER than Friday 28 August 2020
Further information for families new to Glenbrook School:
Separate to the official Calf Club entry, all children will also create indoor art and craft exhibits during Term 3 at school with their class. Each class will be notified by their class teacher of any additional materials required from home for making these exhibits. These creations will be on display in classrooms on Calf Club Day.
Ribbons and certificates will be awarded during the day on Calf Club Day. Trophies and medals will be presented at a Prize-giving ceremony at the end of the day.
Glenbrook School awards special Long-Service Medals to Year 8 students who have entered Calf Club in one of the above options (agricultural animal, pet, PTA or Garden option) for 8 or more consecutive years, so it’s important to enter every year!
Calf Club Day is considered a school day for Glenbrook School.
Those with calves, lambs or goats who win a 1st, 2nd or 3rd ribbon at Glenbrook School Calf Club Day are eligible for the Waiuku Schools Group Day. This will be held on Thursday 22nd October 2020 with a small cost of $2 to be paid on Calf Club Group Day to ensure entry.
More information on Calf Club Day and how families can get involved will be posted on the school Portal over the coming weeks.
Interested in joining the Calf Club Committee? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that Calf Club is organised by a committee of parents – for any queries please contact: email@example.com