PACKINGTON AND TRAMWAY ROAD
The Tramway Road was a two-chain wide road running from the Manukau Harbour to the Waikato River. A town was surveyed near the beach and sections sold, but the Main Trunk Railway ended the scheme to build a tramway between river and harbour. The Government, about 1916, sent a survey gang to re-survey the area and to group the sections together again. This was a big job as there were so many absent owners who could not be found and in the re-grouping roads had to be surveyed into all these sections. The survey gang camped on Mr. J. D. Chalmers’ farm opposite the hall and were here for several months. When the survey was complete the four farms were put up for ballot. The Wymer family drew three out of the four, and so this idle piece of land was put to work.